Worst2First: My Top Ten Films I Wanted to Like But Didn't

Worst2First: 
My Top Ten Films I Wanted to Like But Didn't
There are some films that have been deemed classic that I just personally don't like.  There are others whose trailers make them seem like they're going to be spectacular, but end up dull as dishwater.  Then there are others that have been long awaited and anticipated, but the hype didn't live up to the actuality.

Here are my personal top ten films that I wanted to like but didn't, worst2first (here, the first is the one I was most disappointed in).



**THERE WILL BE NO SPOILERS**





#10
Collateral Beauty
With an acting pedigree like Will Smith, Helen Mirren, Edward Norton, Keira Knightley, Naomie Harris and Michael Pena, you'd expect the film to be something memorable for all the right reasons, but instead it's known for being a jumbled mess of a film that's supposed to be emotional and heartfelt, but ended up leaving you feeling cheated.  When a man looses his daughter, he looses faith in the world, writing to concepts of Death, Love, and Time...and then they answer.  Yet the film isn't that simple, and it becomes convoluted and needlessly confusing, with a very ambiguous ending that leaves more questions than answers.










#9
Alexander
I absolutely love historical action films, and this on paper looked like it had everything going for it - an outstanding director (Oliver Stone), acclaimed actors (Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins), and the story of one of history's most vicious conquerors.  Yet what was delivered was a corny, ham-fisted mess with terrible acting and the worst costume decision in giving Colin Farrell long blonde hair that didn't suit him.










#8
 Moonlight
 With "Moonlight," I feel like it wasn't the film itself that I didn't like, but all the hype behind it.  I didn't get to see it before the Oscars, and when it beat out "La La Land" for Best Picture, I had to see the film that won over what I felt was a purely magical movie.  When I did see it, I had lofty expectations - and lack of sleep - which factored into why I didn't care for it much.  I found myself drifting off to sleep through several parts of the film, and maybe I'll like it more if I saw it again, but I can't bring myself to do it.










#7
The Truman Show
Jim Carrey was the go-to guy in the 90s for comedy, due to his uncanny ability to stretch his face into humorous contortions and his slapstick style.  With "The Truman Show," he tried his hand at more serious acting - even though it still included his own blend of humor - that didn't mix well together for me.  Yes, it's hailed by many as a great film, but to me it just seemed like he was personally trying too hard in this one.










#6
The Great Gatsby

You get a film based off a beloved classic novel, with Leonardo DiCaprio at the helm, and a strong supporting cast including Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton, Jason Clarke, and Isla Fisher.  What could possibly go wrong?  For me, the film was too long and wasn't interesting in the slightest.  The only thing the film had going for it was its tremendous production values, soundtrack, and set designs, but basically it was just fancy wrapping paper for a present that had nothing inside it when you opened it.










#5
Transformers
 When I was a child, I absolutely loved Transformers.  I had all the toys, watched all the shows, and still remember going to the theater to see the original animated film.  So when I heard Michael Bay was bringing my beloved Transformers to the big screen - including Peter Cullen, the original voice of Optimus Prime - I was beyond the moon.  Unfortunately, my excitement was short lived, as Bay ruined my childhood by providing a film with very little heart and very big explosions, but nothing else.  Each subsequent sequel has only made things worse, and to say I'm disappointed is a very big understatement. 










#4

Avatar
 James Cameron's "Avatar" was hailed as a visionary marvel, a film that has never been seen before, one that would revolutionize how films would be made from now on.  Instead - to me at least - while the film did showcase some awe-inspiring visuals, it is basically just another Romeo and Juliet story, this time taking place between an alien race and a human who disguises himself (that's a simple term, he actually controls an avatar remotely) to infiltrate them but instead falls in love with the leader's daughter.  Yes, the film is beautiful, but it's all window dressing - this story has been done before.










#3
 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
 Indiana Jones is a name synonymous with epic action adventure, and Harrison Ford embodied everything that the character stood for.  After three highly successful films, it looked like Ford would hang up his hat for good - but then came the fourth installment in the franchise, which unfortunately left a nasty stain on the franchise.  Not to give anything away, but the main story itself is what's the real problem here, tarnishing the name of Indiana Jones and leaving fans with sour tastes in their mouths (so much so it was parodied in an episode of "South Park").










#2
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
 The original "Star Wars" films are iconic in the world of cinema, giving birth to eternal characters such as Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker, so when their creator - George Lucas - announced he would do another trilogy, this one being prequels to the originals, fans were obviously excited.  I, myself, had never seen the original "Star Wars" films before these, so I had a different mindset going into it.  After watching it, I wondered how the original films could be seen as classics, because this one was a total mess - especially in the character of Jar Jar Binks, who will go down as one of the worst characters in cinematic history.










#1
Gone With the Wind
 Best Picture.  Best Actress.  Best Supporting Actress.  Best Director.  Best Writing.  Best Cinematography.  Best Art Direction.  Best Film Editing.  Winning eight Academy Awards, "Gone With the Wind" is one of the most celebrated films in history, one that is still heralded as one of the best ever.  So why didn't I like it?  It...was...BORING!  The film was almost four hours long, and it could never keep my attention.  I've only seen it through once, although I've tried on several occasions to watch it again, I can't bring myself to do it.  You'd think this would be one of my favorites of all time, but instead I don't mind if I never see it again.  And if you don't like that, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Theatrical Releases May 2019

Major Theatrical Releases May 2016

The Living Dead