Black Forest

Black Forest
Starring Tinsel Korey, Dhaffer L'Abidine, Andy Clemence, Oliver James
Directed by Patrick Dinhut

Traveling through Germany after the death of his wife, Dr. Saxon (Dhaffer L'Abidine) is approached by the mysterious and eccentric Cazmar (Ben Cross), wanting to join him on an adventure in the Black Forest - the same place where the brothers Grimm wrote their fairy tales.

Together with other tourists, Saxon agrees to the adventure, but what at first seemed like innocent fun soon turns dangerous as a baby is abducted, and the group discover themselves in a real life fairy tale.  With the help of the mysterious Karin (Tinsel Korey), the group works together to find the baby and get back to the real world, while battling some of history's most famous fairy tales.

I saw this on Netflix so I figured I'd give it a shot.  The first title I saw read:
"SyFy Presents"
 And I almost gave up.  SyFy makes some amazing series, but when it comes to their original movies, they really phone it in.  I was ready to accept I was going to see another crapfest of terrible CGI graphics, wooden acting and settings that were rejects of the most recent high school production of "Alice in Wonderland."

Maybe since my expectations were so low, I actually found myself enjoying the film.  Not that it was good...or passable...but it's a good film on those rainy weekend afternoons where you don't feel like talking to family or friends for a little while.  The story wasn't too bad, and the scenery was surprisingly bright and vibrant for such a low budget.  The acting - although not great by any means - was good enough to keep my interest.  All in all, a surprise little gem from SyFy...but still not a very bright gem.

My Rating: C-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Theatrical Releases May 2019

Major Theatrical Releases May 2016

The Living Dead