Worst2First: My Top Ten Comedy Films of All Time

Worst2First: 
My Top Ten Comedy Films of All Time

Since I've done mostly horror Top Tens, I figured I'd take a turn and go for the opposite end of the spectrum.  For me, Comedy is my least favorite genre, because it takes a lot for me to find something truly funny.  Maybe I'm too serious, or maybe I take my comedy too seriously, I don't know.

Anyway, saying that, I found ten comedies that I found not only laugh-out-loud hilarious, but ones I could see multiple times and still find them downright hilarious.

So these are my top ten comedy films of all time.
From Worst2First.

**There could be spoilers throughout, so read at your own risk!**

#10
The Hangover

Combining intelligent humor as well as low-brow comedy and a surprisingly decent storyline, "The Hangover" delivers the goods from start to finish.  The story of three friends trying to find their fourth friend after a drunken bender in Las Vegas through the use of extremely odd clues (such as a baby and a tiger) really works your brain as well as your gut.  Plus it put Bradley Cooper and Zach Galifianakis into the limelight, gave us a great Mike Tyson cameo, and not to mention the scene-stealing antics of Ken Jeong.

Memorable Line:
Would you please put some pants on? I feel weird having to ask you twice.



#9
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

For me, Will Ferrell is hit-or-miss.  He's done some truly atrocious films ("Semi-Pro," "Blades of Glory," "Land of the Lost") but also some truly standout comedies ("Old School," "Step Brothers," "Talladega Nights"), but "Anchorman" will be my all-time Ferrell favorite.  Taking place during the 70s, Ferrell plays Ron Burgundy, a legend in his own right as San Diego's standout newsman.  Together with his hilarious crew (knockout performances by Paul Rudd, David Koechler and especially Steve Carell), he's on top of the world...until management decides to bring in female Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) to diversify the crew.
What follows is wave after wave of hilarity, as both newscasters try to one-up the other, as well as fall in love.  "Anchorman" serves up some of the best one-liners and epic comedic dialogues of any modern film ("I'm in a glass case of emotion," "I love lamp," You know I don't speak Spanish"), delivered with pitch perfect timing.  Sure, there's a subpar sequel to it, but in the end, nothing can beat the original.

Memorable Line:
Brick, where did you get a hand grenade?
I don't know.



#8
The Princess Bride

Based on the book by William Goldman, "The Princess Bride" is the tale of The Princess (Robin Wright) and Westley (Cary Elwes), two lovestruck kids torn apart by tragedy.  Until the tragedy ends.  Then they're back together.  But then they have to stop the evil Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) from marrying and killing her.  Westley bands with a gentle giant (Andre the Giant) and a man out for revenge (Mandy Patinkin) to rescue the not-so-damsel in distress with hilarious outings and epic comedic moments. 

Memorable Line:
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia - but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!



#7
Christmas Vacation

The National Lampoon's Vacation series has been hit-and-miss, but "Christmas Vacation" is the shining example of how you can make a comedy and do it so well that it's as endearing as it was over 25 years later.  Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo and especially Randy Quaid give their best performances here, as the Griswolds try to throw the perfect Christmas get-together, which, of course, doesn't go well.
What makes this film so endearing is that there's still snippets of the film used in today's media, most notably Clark's inability to start the outside Christmas lights.  Still gets me to this day.

Memorable Line:
Clark, I think it'd be best if everyone went home... before things get worse.
WORSE? How could things get any worse? Take a look around here, Ellen. We're at the threshold of hell.



#6
Airplane!

There's so much enjoyment in this film that it's hard to contain.  The story is simple - a man afraid of flying must man an airplane after both pilots (and several passengers) fall ill due to bad fish.  It's not the story that's so riveting, but it's the comedic moments that really drive the film to cult fan status.  Plus it has the late great Leslie Nielsen in his prime, releasing his classic deadpan humor so lightning quick you need to watch it again to get them all in.  That's more than enough to enjoy it, not to mention the still quotable lines.

Memorable Line:
Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Surely you can't be serious.
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.



#5
Office Space

This is THE movie for every pencil-pushing drone who wishes to get ultimate revenge on their crappy boss.  That alone elevates it to greatness, but it's the constant comedy that really hits the nail on the head.  Gary Cole's role as the no-nonsense boss has become Internet meme gold, and it's Stephen Root's deadpan delivery that steals the show and established him as one of the best comedians of the generation.  One of the most iconic scenes involves the destruction of a printer done with the rap song "Still" in the background, and it's still parodied to this day. 

Memorable Line:

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.



#4
Spaceballs

Mel Brooks is a comedic icon, spanning several decades and delivering some of the best comedies of all time.  From "Blazing Saddles," to "Young Frankenstein" and "History of the World: Part I," he's epitomized what it means to be funny.
But it's his "Star Wars" spoof "Spaceballs" that takes the cake for me as his best comedy.  A stellar cast, an interstellar story and an out-of-this-world action/comedy, "Spaceballs" takes off on all cylinders and sends viewers to a comedic galaxy far, far away.  There are several laugh-out-loud moments and witty repertoire between the cast members that make you really appreciate what you're watching - as long as you can get over the constant barrage of laughter.

Memorable Line:
My brains are going into my feet!



#3
Shaun of the Dead

Hey, wasn't this on the top horror films?  Well, yes it was.  You don't like it, make your own list.  Not only is "Shaun of the Dead" a great horror film, it's an even better comedy.  Simon Pegg raises to national prominence as a deadbeat loser faced to band a gang of unlikely allies together in order to survive the zombie apocalypse at their favorite watering hole. 
Brilliantly blending the macabre and the mirthful, "Shaun of the Dead" is a must-see for horror fans and comedy fans alike.

Memorable Line:
Any zombies out there?
Don't say that!
What?
That!
What?
The zed-word. Don't say it!
Why not?
Because it's ridiculous!
All right... are there any out there, though?
I can't see any. Maybe it's not as bad as all that.  Oh, no, there they are. 
 


#2
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

From 1969 to 1983, British surreal comedy group Monty Python delivered some of the best dry-wit British humor in history. Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, John Cleese and Michael Palin not only started the sketch comedy show "Monty Python's Flying Circus," but also comedy blockbusters "The Life of Brian," "And Now For Something Completely Different," "The Meaning of Life" and, most notably, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."
Taking their leave from the classic Arthurian legend, the Monty Python crew turns it on its head as making Arthur a bumbling fool, and his Knights of the Round Table as incompetent as their leader.  "Holy Grail" is hailed even today as a comedy staple, filled to the brim with memorable lines, one of the best opening credits in any movie ever, and moments that have been parodied and honored throughout the decades.  It's no surprise this is hailed as such a masterclass of comedy.

Memorable Line:
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.



#1
The Simpsons Movie


Anyone who knows me, knows that I adore "The Simpsons."  Even though it's been lacking in quality over the last few years, it's still endearing to me because it's been on the air through my childhood, teenage, college, and now adult years.  Very few nighttime scripted shows - animated or otherwise -  can hold that feat.  So when they finally announced the long-awaited movie, I was beyond excited.
After seeing the film several times, it still holds a special place in my heart, and I still find it hilarious to this day.  Homer's antics never cease to make me laugh, and there's an actually surprisingly decent story to the film as well. 

Memorable Line:
Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig. / Does whatever a Spider-Pig does. / Can he swing / from a web? / No he can't, / He's a pig. / Look out! / He is the Spider-Pig!


So there you have it, I hope that in these times of Daylight Savings where now it gets wicked dark at 4 pm, you can sit back and enjoy some classic comedies that you might've never seen - or see them again for the first time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Theatrical Releases May 2019

Major Theatrical Releases May 2016

The Living Dead