Spy x Family Code: White

Spy x Family Code: White
Starring Takuya Eguchi, Atsumi Tanezaki, Saori Hayami, Kenichiro Matsuda
Directed by Takashi Katagiri

I haven't really watched a lot of anime shows, with the exception of "Attack on Titan" and the entire "Dragonball" series because my roommate in college made me watch them all and I wondered why they spent fifteen episodes for one fight, and while I can appreciate the artistry and animation of anime, I don't find myself compelled to watch them. Even in film, I tend not to gravitate toward them with one notable exception: anything made by Studio Ghibli, and the work of the great Hayao Miyazaki. The stories he weaves are compelling and poignant and the animation is awe-inspiring. So when the Regal Monday Mystery movie began and it was "Spy x Family Code: White," I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into - and in the end I found myself amused by the spectacle, even if I never saw the show the film is based off of.

Loid Forger (Takuya Eguchi) and his wife Yor (Saori Hayami) are spies who don't know the other is a spy, and they got married under the guise of creating the perfect family. They adopted young Anya (Atsumi Tanezaki), unaware that she can read minds, and brings in a dog named Bond that has precognitive visions that Anya can see. Loid started this family as a part of the Strix mission and that's threatened when Anya enters a cooking competition that she has to win - so they family heads to Frigis to re-create the principal's favorite dish so Anya can win. While there Anya comes across a weapon that the government is looking for, and abducts her to get it back - leading Loid and Yor on their own journeys to rescue her without the other knowing they're spies.

As I said, I never saw "Spy x Family" and had absolutely no idea about its existence, but thankfully the film opened with exposition that explains the family dynamic so I wasn't completely lost - one of the few times I was thankful for an exposition dump. Knowing the basic gist of everything allowed me to enjoy the film and get myself immersed in the experience, appreciating the amazing animation, and even laughing along with the dry, witty dialogue.

The film maintained my attention which is no easy feat especially due to the fact that I never saw the show, but I was drawn in by the characters and their unique dynamic. The family is a sham, but it seems that they've been in it so long they actually begin to have feelings for each other. Loid and Yor are spies and Anya can read minds, while their Saint Bernard has precognitive visions. It's as outlandish as it sounds, but it all works tremendously due to the writing, vocal talents, and animation.

You can tell the film doesn't take itself too seriously, as the main thrust of the film finds the family traveling to re-create a dessert that Anya's principal likes. Their adventure is filled with whimsy and fun, especially seeing Loid speeding through the market to gather the ingredients and making it feel like a James Bond mission. Things escalate when the government abducts Anya because she has something that could create a war, and to get it out of her they resort to the most hilarious methods imaginable. A particular fantasy scene Anya experiences will have you doubled over in laughter.

The movie serves as a decent starting point for anyone not familiar with the show, but seemingly those who know the show finds the film dragging due to it needing to explain everything to the uninitiated like myself, but since I'm the latter I can't really fault the film for doing that. It's fun, funny and heartfelt, and the action and animation are top tier. Ultimately, it almost made me want to watch the show it's based off of.

The Score: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Theatrical Releases May 2019

Major Theatrical Releases May 2016

Witch