The Lego Movie


The Lego Movie
Starring Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Ferrell, Morgan Freeman
Directed by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller

The Wizard Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman) attempts to protect the "Kragle", a superweapon, from the evil Lord Business (Will Ferrell). He fails to do so, but warns of a prophecy where a person called the "Special" will find a Piece of Resistance capable of stopping the Kragle.

Eight and a half years later, Emmet (Chris Pratt) is just an ordinary construction worker when he comes upon the mysterious WyldStyle (Elizabeth Banks) as she's searching for the Piece.  Emmet comes across it and Wyldstyle believes him to be the "Special" and takes him to Vitruvius, only to both discover that there's nothing inherently "special" about Emmet.

Meanwhile, Lord Business is planning on destroying the Lego world because it's gotten out of control for him, and enlists the help of Bad Cop (Liam Neeson) to track down Emmet and bring the Piece back.  With the help of Wyldstyle, Vitruvius and Batman (Will Arnett), Emmet travels the different Lego worlds in hopes of discovering what it is about him that could possibly be "special" enough to save the world.

When I first heard of this film, I thought it was going to be terrible.  The concept to me didn't seem worthy of a movie, much like a movie based on "Monopoly" or "Hungry Hungry Hippos" or something, and I had no desire to see it.

Then the film came out and broke all records and became the highest grossing movie two weeks in a row, with rave reviews, and it piqued my interest.

After watching it, it far exceeded any expectations I had for it.  From start to finish there wasn't a slow moment or boring scene, but the film had me laughing so hard my stomach hurt, and I know I even missed other funny parts because I was still laughing at previous moments.  All the characters were amazing, but for me it was Morgan Freeman's Vitruvius and Charlie Day's Benny the 1980s space cadet that stole the show.

Most definitely one of the best films I've seen this year, and possibly one of the best I've seen in a good while.

My Rating: A+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Theatrical Releases May 2019

Major Theatrical Releases May 2016

The Living Dead