Lone Survivor


Lone Survivor
Starring Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster
Directed by Peter Berg

A plan is devised - known as Operation Red Wings - to take down a Taliban leader.  Four members of Seal Team 10 - Marcus Luttrell (Mark Wahlberg), Michael Murphy (Taylor Kitsch), Danny Dietz (Emile Hirsch) and Matthew Axelson (Ben Foster) - are sent to investigate.

Things go downhill when some villagers come upon them, and they decide to let them go.  They tell the Taliban and what ensues is an unforgettable firefight where only one of the Seal Team members survive.

Some critics said this was the best war film since "Saving Private Ryan."  I was skeptical of that claim, until I saw the film.  Coming out of it, I tend to highly agree with that statement.  Rarely does a movie instill real emotions in me, but I found myself being totally heartbroken by what was happening on screen (especially at the end), and at moments I even found myself cheering out loud.  That rarely happens to me in a movie, and that holds to the excellence that this film was done.

The acting was top notch, with some of today's hottest talent.  I've never been a fan of Taylor Kitsch, but he finally found a film that I loved him in.  Emile Hirsch has always been a favorite of mine, and Ben Foster has done some gritty good work.  Mark Wahlberg delivered a knockout performance as well, and the four of them really acted like a true band of brothers.

The makeup, done by the masterful Greg Nicotero (best known for his work on "The Walking Dead") was nothing short of spectacular, how he makes the men totally bloodied and bruised seemed so real life.  The sound in the film was amazing - and gifted with two Academy Award nominations.  When the bullets were flying it sounded like they were all around me, which also helped draw me into the story.

At the heart of the film is the story of the four men, and that was the most compelling of all.  Knowing it was a true story - and knowing three of them wouldn't survive - really hit home for the audience as they already knew their fates, and seeing their back stories was heart wrenching.  If it were a made-up story, it wouldn't have had the same effect.  But knowing what happened to them just made it all the more real what was happening on screen.

I can't say enough good things about this film, and I can't think of many negative things to say. It's one of those rare films that will stick with you long after it ends.

My Rating: A+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Major Theatrical Releases May 2019

Major Theatrical Releases May 2016

The Living Dead